Re: GPG USAGE HOWTO 1 (was: Re: AM report on Thierry Bourrillon)

    Matthew> Ralf Treinen writes:
    >> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:55:21PM +0200, Lenart Janos wrote:

    >> > It's terrible what you people here call keysigning, and keysign
    >> > checking. You are using --list-sigs and not --check-sigs, --list-sigs
    >> > DOES NOT CHECK ANYTHING. And that other guy signs a UID that's
    >> > invalid. So, if elmo rejects the application the applicant can be happy
    >> > with having a signed @debian.org UID, I have no idea whatever it's good
    >> > for by this time, but it's BAD anyway. The web of trust is piece of shit
    >> > becouse of the 'I-don\'t-care' users of strong encryption systems.

Bullshit.

    >> If I sign a key I confirm the fact that the person with the name on
    >> the key has claimed to me that the key is his. IMHO my signature on
    >> the key does not confirm that the person is owner of the mailbox.
    >> Am I right?

Yes.  I sign keys based on a check that the person listed as the key
owner (a person having a name and not being an email address) is in
fact that person.  Based on official ID that I think I can trust, of
course (no exception, ever).

I do not check email addresses... they are *not* the person.  And
email addresses don't have anything to do with trust.

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html