Re: GPG USAGE HOWTO 1 (was: Re: AM report on Thierry Bourrillon)

Peter Palfrader wrote:
  >You miss the point, imagine the following situation:
  >
  >We meet, I show you my ID and give you the fingerprint.
  >My key has two IDs:
  >	Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
  >	Peter Palfrader <sirpeter@gmx.net>
  >
  >You sign both and send the key to my primary address or upload it to the
  >keyserver.
  >
  >Congratulations, you have just allowed me to impersonate Peter Palfrader
  ><sirpeter@gmx.net>, who happens to be an all together different Peter
  >Palfrader than me.
  >
  >Now If I sign mails with that key ppl will trust that I'm the
  >sirpeter@gmx.net because after all _you_ signed that ID.
  >
  >If you had verified that I controlled sirpeter@gmx.net, this could never
  >have happened.

How can I _verify_ that?   Suppose you have temporarily spoofed gmx.net;
I "verify" that you are there and then you unspoof it.

All my signature verifies is that I personally met someone who presented
a particular key.

Do not put more trust in a web of trust than it deserves and do not trust
it to guarantee what it cannot.

     "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to
      become the sons of God, even to them that believe on
      his name."    John 1:12