Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

* Craig Small <csmall@eye-net.com.au> [20010130 11:16]:
> Having some text which reads "you must have this done before
> applying or we will bounce you" is even easier.

Can you please add Julian's questions to the application form until we
implement the new scheme or do more discussion.

> The by recommendation one, as it involves a person, will give cleaner
> results.  However it may bring accusations of cabalism.

Yeah, but on the other hand, the only recommendation is no issue at
all if you have had contact with Debian before.  And if you haven't
had contact, why do you want to join the project?

Anyway, I'd like to switch to the new scheme ASAP.  If there are major
objections and _good_ arguments, please raise them now.

The fact that Debian is perceived as a closed group is a problem but
OTOH many people feel that we are too open at the moment.  Also,
if you look at the people applying to become a maintainer you will
see that we are not closed at all... far from it.

> There is also practical problems of transferring information between
> db and nm.d.o

Well, I think the solution we came up in IRC will work (db sends
signed mail to nm where it's put in a database).  I have already
asked Randolph Chung to implement the CGI bin for db.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com