Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 02:10:01PM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If we put the new system up next
> week, we can do one of two things:
> (a) finish processing the current queue, then work on the new
>     applicants, or
> (b) politely ask all current applicants who have not been assigned an
>     AM to reapply with the new form.
Hi there (for those who don't know me, I wrote the NM website)

Providing a way for an applicant to automatically change things
is a lot more difficult as now I would to provide state
access control etc for an applicant.  Then there are issues of
password loss, recovery etc. Sure, its all doable, but it is a lot of
work for an interim problem.

Changing the application screen to have more mandatory fields is
a lot easier. Having some text which reads "you must have this done
before applying or we will bounce you" is even easier.

One thing I would like to do is to have a similar system as an email
list where the site sends an email to the applicant and they reply
with a verification.

> > The advantage of the "are you prepared?" system is that Debian would
> > be perceived less as a close group, but I'm not sure this system is
> > going to work as well as the "by recommandation" one.
The by recommendation one, as it involves a person, will give cleaner
results.  However it may bring accusations of cabalism.  There is
also practical problems of transferring information between db and
nm.d.o

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>