Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 12:34:07PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> [20010129 11:47]:
> > I think the suggestion is that on the entry form (newnm.php), you
> > could ask the applicant, probably before their name and email address:
> [...]
>
> Yeah, I thought about something similar before I came up with my
> recommandation thing.  The problem is that if it doesn't work we lose
> 4-6 months before we can switch to the recommandation system (two
> months until we actually process NMs who saw the "are you prepared?"
> message, and then some more time until we change the system, and then
> again 2 months until we process the new people).

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If we put the new system up next
week, we can do one of two things:
(a) finish processing the current queue, then work on the new
    applicants, or
(b) politely ask all current applicants who have not been assigned an
    AM to reapply with the new form.

> The advantage of the "are you prepared?" system is that Debian would
> be perceived less as a close group, but I'm not sure this system is
> going to work as well as the "by recommandation" one.

Let's say it was up and running, and that the changeover period (which
will be similar anyway) were not an issue.  Which would then be
better?  Or is some combination appropriate?

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/