Re: task & skills

Just my two cents for the "hot" discussion about tasks and skills. I am ready
for blaming from everybody.

In my opinion *every* applicant before he/she become a maintaner should have
at least *one* sponsored package in the distribution (adopted or new).

The whole NM process looks more like a theoretical exam than practical. It
doesn't matter how excellent an applicant may describe in his/her own words a
difference between free beer and free software or how many signatures from
Debian maintaners he/she has until he/she hasn't more than a fundamental
knowledge about Debian packaging.

Of course, it may cause the NM process will take more time for some
applicants but it doesn't matter until we care about a *quality* also and we
care not only about a *quantity*. If some applicants want to join Debian for
doing other job than packaging then it doesn't matter if they have accounts
or haven't (at least until they try to upload something some day).

That's obviously the AM and the sponsor should be different persons if we
care also about more objective (and more democratic) NM process. Looking for
sponsors is not so difficult until an applicant has enough motivations and
patience for doing Debian work. Both these "features" are also very useful in
this case.

Thanks,
Mariusz

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.