Re: task & skills

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 01:57:05AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > Just a reminder (? hopefully); if an applicant is joining Debian as a
> > packager, he must have a package ready to adopt, package whatever.  It
>
> I don't understand why though. You don't ask for complete documented
> and/or revisions from those who want to be documentors.

Probably because we have 550 packagers and, like, 5 documentors? It appears
to be more interest in packaging than in documenting, therefore more
defined regulations need to exist for packaging than for documenting, at
least until we attract the sufficient amount of documentors...

> > I'm not going to accept (or spend time on) applicants who are going to
> > maybe package something at some unspecified date in the future.
>
> Why not? I was accepted and it was 16 months before I uploaded my
> first package. Not everyone can be like Joey Hess or Adrian Bridgett.

True, but there's a slight difference between 1 package and 50 packages.

> We are not even close to packaging all the new and interesting free
> software yet. Sourceforge containers, I hear, about 30000 projects. Debian
> has only 10% packaged [0]. We have a long way to go.

I hope this was a sarcasm :)

There's going to be some dispersion in quality as the number of maintainers
enlarges, that's one of the basic facts of quantitative variability[1]. If
we intend to keep the general level of quality of our packages, not to
mention improving it, requiring more knowledge and more experience from new
maintainers is a must.

[1] studying too much biology isn't good. ;^/