Proposal, was: Re: Problem application

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 08:56:37AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I see no other course than to act on such information when it is presented
> > to us from the outside community. On the other hand, I don't see it as
> > being proper to simply accept that outside information without letting the
> > applicant defend himself, so I guess I'm looking for a proceedure to allow
> > that defense to occur.
>
> Now I see what you are getting at.
>
> > I would prefer that the evidence be presented to the group, possibly with
> > some kind of voting proceedure, so that no one AM must shoulder the
> > responsibility of the decission to exclude the applicant.
> >
> > While we are not strictly "deligates of the DPL" we do enjoy the full
> > support of the DAM in this reguard. We may still need to present our
> > "findings" to him for final approval, but I don't want him to have to
> > shoulder the responsibility for the decission on _his_ own either. This is
> > a problem that is better shared.
>
> I understand what you're getting at now.  Yes, I agree with you that
> this would be a useful thing to do.  I don't really know how, though.
> But we must tell the applicant early on, though.

OK, lets see if I have a process that will work:

1. Either one of the AMs or the Front Desk receives mail from a third
party, declaring an applicant in the queue to be undesirable.

2. That AM should pass this information to the Front Desk for action.

3. FD contacts the third party and asks for specific information about the
applicant in question.

4. When this information has been provided, the FD contacts the applicant,
presenting the information delivered. This contact will declare the
options that the applicant has. They can either remove their application
or they can choose to defend themselves before the collective AMs. This
defense requires that the applicant identify themselves to the group and
present their defense.

5. Once the applicant has completed his defense and answered all questions
from the AM (board of enquiry?) that group will decide on the
acceptability of the applicant.

6. Depending on the outcome of the "trial" the FD will either reject the
application in the name of the group, or assign an AM if rejection is not
considered necessary.

Dwarf