Re: Problem application

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 01:51:02AM +1100, Drake Diedrich wrote:

>    How does something like this sound?
>
> 1) Let the applicant know of the accusations (URL, whatever).  Applicant put
>    on hold.
> 2) Applicant chooses to quit or argue against accusations.
> 3) Applicant may choose to have a small group of NM people evaluate
>    accusations and evidence. Applicant must agree not to sue this group
>    regardless of decision or accidental leaks.  Applicant could appeal
>    using step 4.  The evidence would be kept quiet, not sure about result -
>    we'd want to let future NM people know not to just blindly accept this
>    person.
> 4) Applicant can have the full NM committee publicly evaluate accusations,
>    similarly holding all of Debian harmless.  The results and evidence here
>    would necessarily be public.

Just a note of caution - with items 3 & 4, we are asking a person
whose trustworthiness is in question to agree not to sue. IANAL, and
it worries me as to how legally binding his agreement not to sue
(assuming he agrees to that condition) would be. On that matter, I am
not sure if any of us, as individual developers have any
organizational legal backing from such a suit.

It would be simpler to phrase the letter to the applicant in words
that are clear that his best option is to cancel his application.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer