Re: Inclusion of a new package for Buster (dragonfly-reverb)

Hi Sebastian and all,

Le 2018-12-16 19:09, Sebastian Ramacher a écrit :
Hi

On 2018-12-14 23:30:45, trebmuh@tuxfamily.org wrote:
Hi all,

Le 2018-11-11 15:00, trebmuh a écrit :
> > > I've been asked by upstream how to get this software included in
> > > Debian. I'm
> > > touching base here then to check if that's relevant and, if so,
> > > how to move
> > > forward.
> > >
> > > The software is DragonFly-Reverb, a nice reverb' GUI based on
> > > the well-known
> > > freeverb3 algorithm, provided as a LV2 and VST plugin.
> > > See https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragonfly-reverb/
> > >
> > > I've been testing it on Debian Stretch for a bunch of time now
> > > and have a
> > > working (Stretch) package ready which would then need a rebuild
> > > and checks
> > > on a Buster system.
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if the following is enough or if I'm missing steps :
> > > - repackaging it on a Buster system
> > > - testing this package on a Buster system
> > > - uploading the Buster package on mentors.debian.net
> > > - pinging the list here to get a DD to sponsor it
> > >
> > > Is that it ?
> >
> > s/buster/unstable/, otherwise, yes. That and getting it to migrate
> > before the
> > buster freeze starts is all that needs to be done.
>
> Thanks Sebastian.
> I'll be back here when I have a package to show then (which should
> take ~10/15 days I think).

It took me a bit of more time than expected to setup a new machine with a
buster system but here we go.

I've uploaded a package for DragonFly-reverb to mentors [1].

Since I'm not really used to the Debian processing, this is what I've done:
- installing a stretch
- s/stretch/buster in sources.list
- update with synaptic
- installing the dev tools I'm using (pbuilder, dput,...) and set them up
- build a debian unstable chroot base.tgz for pbuilder
- build the package against this unstable chroot (with pbuilder)
- install the package on my buster freshly install computer
- test it and I can tell that DragonFly is working as a LV2 and LXVST with
Ardour5, and as a jack-standalone app

A few questions/remarks:

1) If I understand correctly the official debian process, I should have opened an ITT bug first. Can someone please confirm that this is a needed
step, or not?

An ITP bug, yes. It's not required, but recommended and good practice.

OK, done here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=916638

That's the first time I'm doing so and I copied/pasted/modified from other current ITP bugs.
I hope the result is good. If not, please let me know.

2) On mentors.d.n [1], it says that the debian/watch file isn't working. I forgot to switch to a v4 d/watch format before uploading to mentors. I'll
wait for your feedback about this package before doing so.

I've updated it on my local debian/watch file.

3) Can someone here is able to sponsor this package to get in the debian
repo before the freeze?

The package already looks quite good. Here are some comments:
- Priority extra no longer exists. Please use optional instead.

OK. Done on my local debian/control file.

- d/copyright does not cover dpf.

Good catch. Updated on my local debian/copyright file.

- I'd trim down d/changelog to only contain an entry for the first version going into the archive and only containing the default message for the initial
  release:

  "- Initial release. (Closes: #ITP bug)"

OK, done in my local debian/control file.

- The Description of the binary package needs some work. Does it really matter
  which toolkit was used to build the GUI?

I thought it was a good idea to give DPF a bit of visibility and acknowledgement here. If you think it's not useful, I'm fine with removing this. Please let me know.

Could you maybe also explain with a little more in detail what the package provides?

OK. I've asked upstream to give me 4 or 5 lines of description. When I'll receive an answer from him and the description is updated on my local copy, I'll update the package on mentors.d.n and will ping you here.

Thank you for having taking the time to review this package and providing this useful feedback Sebastian.
Very much appreciated.

Olivier