Re: Newbie question: Resurrecting wxsvg

Hi Alec,

On 09/17/2018 11:04 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 17/09/18 18:33, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> Hi Alec,
>>
>> I am cc'ing you as you did not say if you are subscribed to the list.
>>
>> If you are willing to maintain the package within the team, then feel
>> free to request to join the team on Salsa.
>
> On 17/09/18 19:13, Debian GitLab wrote:
>> You have been granted Maintainer access to the Debian Multimedia Team
>
> Thanks!
>
> Done, at least a first try:  pushed 1.5.15+dfsg.1 to alsa. Given my
> current skills  a review is certainly required. Status in short:'
>
> lintian --pedantic -E --show-overrides
> P: wxsvg source: package-uses-old-debhelper-compat-version 9
> P: wxsvg source: debian-watch-does-not-check-gpg-signature
>
> d/changelog:'
>   * New upstream release
>   * Drop ffmpeg patch
>   * Update dfsg versioning scheme.
>   * Move to libwxsvg3 to match soname.
>   * Add rudimentary d/upstream/metadata.
>
> Also:  added me to uploaders, updated Standards-Version:

Thanks for taking this on. Unfortunately, the package does not build for
me in a clean unstable chroot (I use pbuilder).

I would recommend you upload the package to Debian Mentors
(https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers). Then at least I know you
got it to build somehow. It is also good practice for uploading with
$dput (assuming you get the permissions to upload to the archive
yourself one day).

Also, some other review comments follow.

Important to fix:
1. Top changelog entry should mention the package is being
re-introduced. Something like "Re-introduce wxsvg to Debian, latest
upstream release".
2. As of Debian Policy version 4.1.4, the get-orig-source target should
be removed in favour of repacking with uscan (see
https://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements for more information). Also,
you should not bump the standards version without checking all of the
policy updates since the last check - version 3.9.6 (see:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.html#). The
fact that you have bumped the standards version should also be listed in
the changelog.
3. The upstream metadata file is not valid yaml, and the other tools
that read it might cough. If you use https://codesearch.debian.net/ you
can find other example files you can follow.
4. Alessio and Fabrice would probably have agreed to the package being
removed from Debian. They might be a bit surprised to find they are
maintaining it again. :-) Please remove them from uploaders, unless you
have asked them if they still want to co-maintain it.
5. There is at least one file where the copyright notice has been
updated since the previous upload (Alex Thuering > 2014). Did you check
the copyrights? The package will have to pass the NEW queue, and the
ftp-masters will be looking closely at this (not that it matters - it
should be right anyway ;-) ).

Other minor comments, but easy to fix:
1.
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/package-uses-old-debhelper-compat-version.html
shows the preferred way to fix this. May as well use the latest
debhelper version.
2.
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/debian-watch-does-not-check-gpg-signature.html
explains what to do about this. It is probably a good idea to get in
touch with upstream anyway, so they know you are re-introducing the
package to Debian. Not much you can do if they refuse to sign their
releases though. In that case, the warning is "pedantic", so we will
just ignore it.
3. Technically, the changelog entry should say that the libav10 patch
was dropped (not ffmpeg) as this was what the patch was called.
4. You are safe to remove the (>= 1.20.2) version constraint for
libpango1.0-dev, because there is no version older than this, even back
to old-old-stable. But you should mention you have done this in the
changelog. Similarly, the changelog does not mention that you dropped
the g++ dependency.
5. You have removed the Breaks/Replaces on the old library name, but not
mentioned this in the changelog. It is not likely that someone
continuing upgrading from the current old-stable will still have the old
library installed (libwxsvg2), but I am generally cautious and wait for
the old package to completely disappear from old-stable (as in this case
there was an upgrade path from old-old-stable).