Re: Debian Multimedia (Unofficial) Promotion

Le 17/03/2012 07:46, Sthu Deus a écrit :
Good time of the day, Fred.

Thank You for Your time and extended answer.
You worte:

Le 17/03/2012 06:13, Chris S. a écrit :
As a new Debian user, I believe I read the following document about
multimedia codes:

http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs

However, as noted on the following two pages, Debian does not appear
to approve of www.debian-multimedia.org:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ#Common_issues
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=70719&f=13

So why would the first page about codecs instruct users to add the
www.debian-multimedia.org repository? Shouldn't this be avoided?
Shouldn't Debian communicate the contrary on all pages?

I just finished downgrading all of the packages that I had linked to
debian-multimedia.org, and it was a painful and slow process. Not
something I would wish on anyone. It started because I was innocently
trying to install VLC and some other video software, and I ran into
package conflicts with GNOME and several other packages.

So could we update the first link and remove the reference
debian-multimedia.org? That would save newbie users like me from the
pain of having to figure out why an innocent package in Stable
conflicts with the entire GUI of the OS.

Thank you for considering my input.

[skip]

To finish and don't take it bad, as a self proclamed newbie, are you
sure that asking to remove a repository active and useful since years
is a pertinent idea ?

I think we have to be careful here - when injuring one -
Hey ! Have never meant to injure anyone !
I do not think
Chris S. wanted to say anything bad against the repo, but rather to
make it more perfect - the Debian wiki pages he has found while becoming
familiar w/ Debian.

Otherwise we risk to end up w/ many people that would not even try to
make things better - the thing that is not good/project_profitable.

That's OK to correct but not to injure - IMHO.
I have the same opinion, and you probably have focussed on the bad part of my message...
What you skipped was the wanted-help stuff !
Have a nice week end,
Fred

Sthu.

--
Ah, si chaque grain de sable choisissait d'apporter sa goutte d'eau, hein ?