Re: shared-mime-info: Identify soundfonts

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM, tim hall <tim@64studio.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  To celebrate the release of Fluidsynth-1.0.8 and the FluidR3 soundfont
>  package, I think it would be a good step to sort out the identification
>  of SF2 and SFARK mimetypes. Currently SF2 files are identified as
>  video/x-msvideo, which just doesn't seem right.
>
>  If anyone can explain the soundfont format to me enough to understand
>  why it looks like a video to the system, I'd really appreciate it. I'm
>  coming from the point of view of designing suitable icons.

I can't do that, but I suppose the magic number, or some data inside
the file, fits a predefined pattern well enough for it to be cast as a
video. I don't have time right now to pursue the matter in great
depth, but am willing to see if I can get it sorted. Presumably this
would involve, at the moment, having the fluid-soundfont (or a common
consumer package) tinkering with dh_installmime and its related files.
I'm not sure about getting the magic fixed, but I can look into that.

>  Also if anyone can add any more scholarly / useful information to this
>  bug-report, I'm sure that will help the process along. If any of you
>  think that this issue should be raised with other packages (what about
>  KDE?) please raise a bug or let me know and I'll do it.

KDE follows the fdo spec, so I presume that dh_installmime would work
across DEs.

>  If this is a pointless exercise, I'd appreciate having that explained
>  too. :)

Certainly it is not.

>  I'm not going to keep Cc:ing everyone on this issue unless asked. The
>  debian-multimedia list is probably the best focus for this one.

I am only CCing -multimedia, yes.

>  Storming work, by the way! :-)

:)