Re: shared-mime-info: Identify soundfonts

Toby Smithe wrote:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM, tim hall <tim@64studio.com> wrote:

 If anyone can explain the soundfont format to me enough to understand
 why it looks like a video to the system, I'd really appreciate it. I'm
 coming from the point of view of designing suitable icons.

I can't do that, but I suppose the magic number, or some data inside
the file, fits a predefined pattern well enough for it to be cast as a
video. I don't have time right now to pursue the matter in great
depth, but am willing to see if I can get it sorted. Presumably this
would involve, at the moment, having the fluid-soundfont (or a common
consumer package) tinkering with dh_installmime and its related files.
I'm not sure about getting the magic fixed, but I can look into that.

OK, Well I guess the information is out there somewhere, so I'll do some digging in usual way. Is dh_installmime something that would go in the fluid-soundfont package or would you expect it to be provided by another package? I'll read up on magic. 8<|:-)> Thanks for the pointers.

 Also if anyone can add any more scholarly / useful information to this
 bug-report, I'm sure that will help the process along. If any of you
 think that this issue should be raised with other packages (what about
 KDE?) please raise a bug or let me know and I'll do it.

KDE follows the fdo spec, so I presume that dh_installmime would work
across DEs.

OK. From a partisan point of view, 64 Studio doesn't ship KDE, so if they are falling into line with fdo, I'm happy to assume that the changes will trickle down. It's an SEP for me for practical purposes, however, If the issue can be sorted for all users, that's a bonus.

cheers,

tim