Re: RFS: fluid-soundfont -- Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:42:38AM +0000, Toby Smithe wrote:

> I am very keen to improve the state of MIDI applications in Debian and
> Ubuntu, and fluid-soundfont will definitely aid in that.

I think this is a good initiative, and I also think it's sad that the
free software world is lacking an free (as in free license) soundfont.

But, I think there is one problem with the soundfont that needs to be
fixed. This text string is to be found right there in the beginning of
the soundfont itself:

strings FluidR3_GM.sf2 |grep -i distribute
DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE ANY OF THESE SAMPLES.

How can Debian or anybody else be able to redistribute it if that is
explicitly forbidden in the soundfont itself...? :)

OK, this is probably just an oversight by the author, but...
(And hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger :)

Tomas