Re: "state of multimedia" (audio)

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:47:09PM +0000, tim hall wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February 2006 15:51, Junichi Uekawa was like:
>
> !?!uneducated!?!
>
> Ardour has been useable in Debian for a while now. A/DeMuDi has provided a
> stable (i.e. useable) multimedia distribution since the release of the 1.2
> series. I would s/2006/2005 at least.

I think this statement is pretty dangerous in general, as there are
no real criteria for "stable" and "usable". The first Demudi came out
in 2001 and it was stable and useable, regarding the applications that
existed at that time. I am following the Linux audio scene since
1997 and everytime I see these presentations they start the same
way.
In 2000 we have equipped a museum in Vienna with about 30 Debian boxes,
all of them running low-latency sound installations, and they are still
running.
For almost ten years now, we are constantly "almost there". This will go
on like this, because hardware gets faster, the expectations on low latency
figures increase, software gets better, security issues will prevent us from
high scheduling priorities. There will always be applications or
features missing. The only thing that can be done is to try to not fall too
far behind.
So, 1997 is just as valid as 2007.

Also, when I applied for this mailing list (the debian-multimedia mailinglist)
in 2000 (!) the plans were similar.

Anyhow, if starting Debian Multimedia in 2000 was good, it is good now.
Today Debian offers more audio related packages than ever, not only
because of Demudi but also because of lots of other Debian developers
and users who contribute with packages, bug reports and whatever.
What is missing is a way to make the configuration of the system easier.
Thats were the debian multimedia policy should step in.

Guenter