Creative SB AWE64 PnP problems with 2.6.8

I am trying to get my SB AWE64 PnP card working on
Debian Sarge. I'd even like to get MIDI working on
it. I am using kernel 2.6.8.  From what I read on the
internet, I am not sure if this card is going to work
with alsa.  My card seems to be detected at boot
time, as evidenced by dmesg:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
pnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
pnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB AWE64 PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

But (as root as you can see):

localhost:~# modprobe snd_sbawe
FATAL: Error inserting snd_sbawe (/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sbawe.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error running install command for snd_sbawe
localhost:~#

What gives? What does 'No such device' mean? How do I set up my
card correctly? I have seen the alsa home page but a lot of it seems
to be written with the assumption that you're working with a 2.4 kernel
instead of 2.6, and I don't know how much of it will work differently.
I have installed the alsa-base, alsa-utils and alsa-oss packages, and
even reinstalled them, but it makes no difference.  The alsaconf package
does not seem to recognize this card, that is it says 'no supported PnP or
PCI card found.' Does this mean that I'm out of luck trying to get the 2.6.8
system to support it?  It had worked with previous versions of linux, just
so one knows...

Thanx