Re: jack 0.94.0-2

>>>>> "rj" == Robert Jordens <robertjo@phys.ethz.ch> writes:

    rj> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Hello!

    rj> [Fri, 27 Feb 2004] Free Ekanayaka wrote:
    >> Given that I don't  know this issue in  depth, I thought it was
    >> necessary to rebuild all jack related applications against this
    >> new release. If  I am wrong,  that is  no  ABI/API changes were
    >> introduced and

    rj> From  0.75.0 (or something   like  that)  to 0.94.0 that   was
    rj> true.    But    all     apps    have     been       recompiled
    rj> (jack-audio-connection-kit has  the latest  version in testing
    rj> (0.94.0-1)).

    rj> From  0.94.0-1  to 0.94.0-2 there   are no changes that should
    rj> affect applications.

Ok, now I see. The next upload of the jack package will contain Debian
only changes, so no incompatibility is going to be introduce.

Are  these the only kind  of uploads which are  likely to happen until
the sarge release?

I ask this because I'd like the  differences between Debian and DeMuDi
package sets to be as few as possible, hopefully nearly anything.

AFAIR a separate jack package was introduced  in AGNULA/DeMuDi at some
point, because we  wanted to have a  more recent jack version than the
one  officially provided by Debian. I  think  now jack has become more
stable and usable, and  maybe it's not so  critical anymore to upgrade
to a new release as soon as possible.

Thus, if the jack version is not going to  change for a while, I think
we can  drop our separate jack package  and adopt the Debian one. This
would solve the annoying issue of having different builds for the same
package  version, any  package  can  be  uploaded both   to Debian and
DeMuDi.

    >> the applications built against the previous package of the jack
    >> library are compatible with the new release, please just ignore
    >> my note.

    rj> I think you just didn't notice that we have jack 0.94.0 in
    rj> testing. ;-]

That's why..

    rj> OTOH: Agnula uses AFAIK jack 0.91.1 (right?). You apps from
    rj> 0.91.1 do not need to be recompiled either.

Yes that's correct, and  this a good news.  Anyhow  my intention is to
shift forward the  unstable snapshot which   DeMuDi is base on  and to
upstream upgrade most of the applications I've packaged, building them
against debian's 0.94.0 and uploading the  packages both to Debian and
DeMuDi.

bye,

free