Re: [Agnula-Developers] [ demudi-Feature Requests-723 ] Compile Muse 0.6.3 with givertcap support

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:

>     ln> Feature Requests item #723, was opened at 27/02/2004 18:18 You
>     ln> can             respond               by             visiting:
>     ln> http://devel.agnula.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=120&aid=723&group_id=8
>
>     ln> Category:  None Group: None   Status:  Open  Resolution:  None
>     ln> Priority: 5 Submitted  By: Linium (linium) Assigned to: Nobody
>     ln> (None) Summary: Compile Muse 0.6.3 with givertcap support
>
>     ln> Initial  Comment:  Once a   givertcap package  is provided  in
>     ln> Agnula, please compile Muse 0.6.3 with --enable-rtcap
>

>     ln> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     ln> You           can           respond          by      visiting:
>     ln> http://devel.agnula.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=120&aid=723&group_id=8
>     ln> _______________________________________________     Developers
>     ln> mailing              list          Developers@lists.agnula.org
>
> At the moment the muse package can be configured  to be run setuid, so
> that it can get real time capabilities. I think this equivalent to the
> --enable-rtcap flag.
>
> Said this,  AFAIK givertcap [0]  is not packaged nor   in DeMuDi or in
> Debian,  but it could be very  useful, for example to  give to all the
> users  in   the   "audio" group  the right     of  running  real  time
> applications,  instead of asking  the  same question for each  package
> which needs to be setuid to get realtime capabilities.

The problem with this approach is that you would have to patch every
package that doesn't support givertcap. Then givertcap is pretty insecure
as soon as it gets installed in the system.

The author of givertcap states that it is bound to be replaced by a better
system, so the question is if all of this is worth the effort.

For 2.6 there is another possibility, the realtime kernel module by
Jack O'Quin (who is on the debian-multimedia list too and has provided
us already with important insights into the working of JACK).
Using this module the applications do not have to be changed.
They can just use their "normal" priority settings mechanism.

Its downloadable at:
http://www.joq.us/realtime/

Guenter