Re: Adapting Debian to Music Making

>>>>> "rj" == Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

    rj> On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 08:30, Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:
    >> Hello friends, I was invited by the Brazilian government to
    >> propose a design for a Music Studio using free software, being
    >> a debian developer and also a musicist wannabe I thought it
    >> would be a good push for myself towards doing something that
    >> debian could really benefit from.
    >>
    >> Is this a good forum to reach the other developers dealing with
    >> multimedia related software in debian? I see this is a very low
    >> volume list nowadays.
    >>
    >> We could benefit a lot from more communication between the
    >> devels dealing with multimedia related packages, specially by
    >> somehow heightening the integration between the applications we
    >> maintain, whenever we find an oportunity to do so.
    >>
    >> I'm sorry if I am missing something which is already happening
    >> in this area, since my motivation is really recent. If that's
    >> the case I'd like very much to join it. If it's not happening
    >> yet, I'd love to create it.

    rj> http://www.demudi.org/main/main.php3

The DeMuDi project has "folded" into the AGNULA project (this happend
one year ago, more or less): http://www.agnula.org/

Right now we are in the process of releasing a  1.0 version of DeMuDi,
which is a  Woody-based  distribution containing several   usefual (or
supposed so :) ) audio-related packages.

If you ask me, the 1.0 is just a tentative: it's called 1.0 for purely
contractual reasons, but it's still in very early development.

For the near future  I'm  planning  to  base  our  work on  a  freezed
snapshot of sarge (I have to count how many open  grave bugs are there
on sarge  today) and work  to make easier for  people to contribute to
AGNULA/DeMudi.

As far as   communication goes..  I  completely  agree with   you.  As
AGNULA, our main problem  is that we have some  fixed deadlines and we
can't  "release  when  we  are  ready"   (although I would   like  to,
honestly).   The best solution  I've  found up to  now  is to put into
Debian the packages that we make for AGNULA/DeMuDi  (see my ITPs which
I Cc: to this mailing list).

I had a look  at metadistros, too, but  they don't seem very  concrete
now.

Any suggestion is warmly welcome!

bye,

andrea