Re: impromptu IRC meeting

Thanks for the corrections!

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Gilles Filippini wrote:

> Not true anymore: it builds successfully against Qt 4.8.

Excellent.

> It's perfectible. A user-space branch is under experiment [1].
>
> [1] <https://github.com/strupppi/qtmoko/tree/RunAsUser_GTA04>

Cool

> A try was given at using the FSO stack, but it's not in the plans
> anymore (AIUI).

Thats a bit sad, it means hardware support has to be done twice for
every device, once for FSO and once for QtMoko.

>> Everything is bundled into one big source tree instead of split up.
>
> That's the main problem. I didn't succeeded yet at splitting the build
> process.

There is also the fact that there are a huge number of embedded code
copies. It even has a copy of zlib!

>> It  uses a forked atd and will not work with the Debian one.
>
> Not true anymore.

I guess someone should tell upstream they can git rm
src/3rdparty/tools/atd then.

> There is some effort in pushing the GTA04 kernel patches upstream.

Excellent.

> He (Radek) seems interested int it, but it's low priority wrt user
> experience for the moment.

Thanks for the clarification.

So the TODO list for getting QtMoko into Debian for those who want to
work on it:

Get upstream to drop all the many embedded code copies.

Get upstream to merge the RunAsUser_GTA04 branch.

Audit the code for security issues, cppcheck finds a number of issues
and grepping for system() finds a lot of calls that should be
converted to QProcess or exec().

Add support for OEM (or generically-configured) mode to dpkg, apt, d-i
so that Debian can produce pre-installed images like QtMoko does but
without having to massage the image after install. Then integrate that
with the QtMoko first-startup wizard. The current Debian images
(cloud/live) are hacking around in the image after it has been
produced.

bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise