Re: impromptu IRC meeting

Paul Wise a écrit , Le 13/12/2012 16:35:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Neil Jerram wrote:
>
>> Why?  Because you all seem to be studiously ignoring QtMoko, a mobile
distribution which is Debian-based, and which already exists and works
rather well today.

>> Is there something you don't like about QtMoko?
>
> IIRC up to now it hasn't been possible to add to Debian because it
> relie(s|d?) on an old version of Qt.

Not true anymore: it builds successfully against Qt 4.8.

> As a user, I don't like that it runs everything as root nor that it
> runs outside X11, but I am using it on my gta02 because it is the
> fastest distro available there.

It's perfectible. A user-space branch is under experiment [1].

[1] <https://github.com/strupppi/qtmoko/tree/RunAsUser_GTA04>

> Some further things:
>
> It duplicates parts of FSO in some ways.

A try was given at using the FSO stack, but it's not in the plans
anymore (AIUI).

> Everything is bundled into one big source tree instead of split up.

That's the main problem. I didn't succeeded yet at splitting the build
process.

> It  uses a forked atd and will not work with the Debian one.

Not true anymore.

> Uses kernels we can't add to Debian.

There is some effort in pushing the GTA04 kernel patches upstream.

> I have a feeling upstream aren't interested in working on getting it
> into Debian, that may be completely wrong though.

He (Radek) seems interested int it, but it's low priority wrt user
experience for the moment.

Thanks,

_g.