Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

Le Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 03:31:27PM +0100, Bastian Blank a écrit :

> Where can we get a more permanent name for this?  There are basically
> three options: Use our own, ask Microsoft for some or put it under some
> existing domain, mainly debian.org or debian.net.

Hi Bastian,

just for the sake of comparison: in the case of the Amazon cloud, the mirror
is accessible from inside and outside at <https://cloudfront.debian.net/>.

On Azure, would the mirror be accessible from outside ?  If not, what would
the DNS return for a .debian.net or a .debian.org name, when queried outside
from Azure ?

 - Nothing, or
 - the same as inside Azure (with the risk that this address is also valid
   but not a mirror on other local networks ?), or
 - the address of a default mirror, like http://httpredir.debian.org/, or
 - the address of a website with a page explaining that the mirror is
   not available from outside ?

As a side note, it would be nice if http://httpredir.debian.org/ would point at
the Azure mirror when ran from inside Azure.  But this said, in the Amazon
cloud Asia Pacific zone (Tokyo), http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ returns
http://ftp.tw.debian.org/debian/ ...

Have a nice day,

Charles