Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

Hi,

On Mon Jan 11, 2016 at 15:52:05 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 03:31:27PM +0100, Bastian Blank a écrit :
> >
> > Where can we get a more permanent name for this?  There are basically
> > three options: Use our own, ask Microsoft for some or put it under some
> > existing domain, mainly debian.org or debian.net.
>
> Hi Bastian,
>
> just for the sake of comparison: in the case of the Amazon cloud, the mirror
> is accessible from inside and outside at <https://cloudfront.debian.net/>.
>
> On Azure, would the mirror be accessible from outside ?  If not, what would

yes, it is accessable from the outside but should not be used.

> As a side note, it would be nice if http://httpredir.debian.org/ would point at
> the Azure mirror when ran from inside Azure.  But this said, in the Amazon
> cloud Asia Pacific zone (Tokyo), http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ returns
> http://ftp.tw.debian.org/debian/ ...

This will generate outgoing traffic, which users will have to pay for,
at least to get the 302 which then should send you to the internal
mirror. This is not the prefered option, but we could try to get that
set up.

As far as i understand, httpredir.debian.org mostly uses source IPs and
BGP information to decide where to point to. If that is correct, i will
work with Microsoft to obtain this information and get that added to
httpredir.debian.org.

Cheers,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster