Re: Looking for the feedback from Gentoo mirror maintainers

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 07:05:28PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 03:30:54PM -0500, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> > Greetings mirror maintainers
>
> Hi,
>
> You should have probably changed the subject line.

I privately replied back to Kurt on this, but for the sake of
completeness of the thread I shall summarise the exchange.

For starters, total neuron misfire when I composed, I had three things
on the go (clearly you know one of the other ones now) and I meant to
address to to the Debian people :)

Within the FreeBSD ports infrastructure, you declare a primary download
link.  Typically from the project home.  Porters are encouraged to add a
secondary link for redundancy.  Because projects like Debian seem to
have good connectivity and file retention people will use a debian link.

Obviously, at some point, the files may get purged, and that will leave
us having to find another solution at a later date.

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer
tabthorpe@FreeBSD.org	| http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe