Re: Looking for the feedback from mirror maintainers

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> A question has come up multiple times within the FreeBSD community,
> should we be using other project mirror sites for our distfile
> fetching?

In general: Why not?

One of the answers may be: Because they're not always exactly what
comes from upstream, but repacked for a variety of reasons.

I started a discussion about this (and was argueing basically with
what you ask for) recently on our debian-devel list, but unfortunately
there weren't many replies:

I still think that one of the reasons for preferring non-repacked
upstream tarballs is that other source-based distributions can use
them from our mirror network the same way as if they download it from
upstream.

> The reality is, from time to time, original project sites drop out of
> existence, but the usefulness of their the source code lives on.  In
> some cases we are missing the original download links, and utilise the
> services of projects such as yours who might be mirroring the distfiles
> we require.  The files would be found under
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/

Instead of a hardcoded list you can possibly use cdn.debian.net which
should point users to a close-by mirror. If http is ok, too, there's
also another geo-locating method in use at http://http.debian.net/.
See http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror for the details.

> Our list of mirror sites we use can be seen here,
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk?rev=1.558;content-type=text%2Fplain.
> You can scroll down to find DEBIAN.

As Kurt already pointed out: Forget about non-US, it's history since a
decade or so.

> Finally to the point, we have just made this list of what appear to be
> official mirror sites.  What I am looking for is for people to declare
> whether the mirror they maintain be included or excluded from this list.

Speaking for ftp.ch.debian.org (which is not in the list?), I'm fine
with that. :-)

> Just to be clear, I am not looking for official mirroring services of
> FreeBSD related stuff, just a general acceptance that we can use your
> mirror sites for some occasional distfile retrieval.

I really wonder why there should be any reason why we could forbid or
not allow that. It's free software after all, we all work for the same
idea and I don't suspect occasional source downloads causes remarkable
more traffic on our mirrors.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin