Re: Looking for the feedback from Gentoo mirror maintainers

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 03:30:54PM -0500, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> Greetings mirror maintainers

Hi,

You should have probably changed the subject line.

Note that most mirrors of Debian are not owned or operated by
Debian, even those in the debian.org domain.  They are ussually
owned and operated by the local organisations.  So it would be
hard for anybody here to give permissions.  And depending on
what you really want to do, it might be the wrong list to contact.

> I am Thomas Abthorpe, a member of the FreeBSD Ports Management team,
> http://www.freebsd.org/portmgr.  Our mandate within FreeBSD is to oversee
> the QA of the package building systems.
>
> A question has come up multiple times within the FreeBSD community,
> should we be using other project mirror sites for our distfile fetching?

I'm confused about what you're really asking here.  Are you
asking about downloading the file from a mirror to put it
in your own distfiles directory?  Or when a users wants to build
something and download the source for building?

Or is this a more general thing where you would like a place
where more distros could all put the latest version?

> The reality is, from time to time, original project sites drop out of
> existence, but the usefulness of their the source code lives on.  In
> some cases we are missing the original download links, and utilise the
> services of projects such as yours who might be mirroring the distfiles
> we require.  The files would be found under ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/

Note that this will not contain all the versions of a software
package, only the one currently being used in one of the active
distributions (oldstable, stable, testing, unstable).  On top of
that it might not be the original source code, but one with the
non-free parts removed.  It might also be hard to tell what
upstream version it really is from just looking at the file.

But we do have an archive of all previously uploaded versions
on snapshot.debian.org.

> Our list of mirror sites we use can be seen here,
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk?rev=1.558;content-type=text%2Fplain.
> You can scroll down to find DEBIAN.

You should probably remove non-us from that.  It doesn't exist for
a while now.

> Just to be clear, I am not looking for official mirroring services of
> FreeBSD related stuff, just a general acceptance that we can use your
> mirror sites for some occasional distfile retrieval.

If you just want to retrieve a file once in a while to move
it to your own distfiles directory, I really can't see why
you'd need all the mirrors or permission from all of them.

If you want to reguraly mirror all new files, I suggest you
pick one of the mirrors and ask their permission, it shouldn't
be that much of a problem.

If it's something else, you need to be more clear.

Kurt