Re: ftp.uk.debian.org and backports

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 01:16:54 +0100, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2011, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > > If this situation is temporary would it be possible to change the
> > > ftp.uk.debian.org CNAME to point to something that provides backports
> > > and volatile too?
> >
> > On this occasion it's probably not worth the trouble, but should perhaps
> > be taken into account next time my disks play up.
>
> I don't think we will.  The only thing guaranteed to be present on
> ftp.*.debian.org is the debian archive in /debian.
>
> I really wished we had a policy that asked operators of ftp.*.d.o hosts
> to not expose anything else on that particular vhost, and use other
> hostnames for other repositories, but I don't think we do.

Also, vhosts are all very well, but neither FTP nor rsync offer virtual
hosts on a shared IP address, so while I used to do backports as a
separate domain when it wasn't a debian.org thing, it was still just
sitting in the directory next-door as far as FTP was concerned.

I think people are bound to notice that sort of thing, and take
advantage -- e.g. it took ages for people to stop using the non-US link
that I put in the debian directory back in the day (it wouldn't surprise
me if there are still one or two people with that in their sources ;-)

For HTTP, we could perhaps have a policy that defined standard paths for
popular extra repositories, and that if a mirror isn't carrying an extra
to redirect to somewhere that was, or to a CNAME that was set up for the
purpose of being a working fall-back (assuming that redirects are
honoured by apt etc.)

Cheers, Phil.