Re: ftp.uk.debian.org and backports

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 10:13:17 +0000, Mike Crowe <mac@mcrowe.com> wrote:
> I've been using debian-backports from ftp.uk.debian.org for some time
> and everything was working swimmingly. It's possible that for most of
> that time ftp.uk.debian.org was a CNAME for debian.hands.com which
> still appears to contain debian-backports.
>
> As of now, ftp.uk.debian.org is a CNAME for klecker-ftp.debian.org
> which appears not to contain debian-backports so my apt-get is
> complaining.
>
> There's some talk in the past of the ftp.uk.debian.org CNAME changing
> temporarily due to hardware trouble at debian.hands.com so perhaps I
> should expect everything to magically start working again in the
> future.

Yeah, one of the 2TB Western Digital drives has been playing up, with
the result being that delays propagated up into the VM that runs the
mirror

I pulled that drive out last night, and have been resyncing the RAIDs
and performing paranoid fscks of the file systems overnight (all of
which came back clean, which is encouraging :-)

It seems much happier now (although there is a second disk showing a few
unreadable blocks that mdadm seem unable to make better, so perhaps that
too will fail at some point, but I still have a minimum of one spare
disk in every RAID after the fist disk died, so it should survive long
enough to get replacement disks in.

I've got to get the mirrors synced back up now, and maybe do one last
reboot, and then we should be back in production around midday.

> If this situation is temporary would it be possible to change the
> ftp.uk.debian.org CNAME to point to something that provides backports
> and volatile too?

On this occasion it's probably not worth the trouble, but should perhaps
be taken into account next time my disks play up.

Cheers, Phil.