Re: mirror.debian.net maintenance

(cc: aba -> see below)

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 05:59:04PM +0100, Leo costela Antunes wrote:
> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > I'm not keeping track, I'm just making a GET request with the Host header
> > set to the above, and with the same path as their mirror database entry
> > indicates.
>
> So you query all mirrors at zonefile creation time?

Yes, a HTTP GET request.

> > Er, you're missing the "mirror" part of the address.
>
> Oh no, that was just a typo in the email, but my error was just as
> silly: I was looking in the "mirrors" address. BTW, perhaps it would be
> a good idea to ask the owner of mirrors.d.n to remove the domain, just
> to avoid confusion (AFAICT there's nothing going on there...)

We can't do an AXFR on it to see what's in it, but we can find the owner -
LDAP says it's aba. Andreas, are you using:

dnsZoneEntry: mirrors in cname alius.turmzimmer.net.

...for anything?

> >> Perhaps if you could delegate geo.mirrors.d.n to the geomirror server
> >> that Adam Borowski and I set up?
> >
> > Where is the geomirror server? I must have missed it...
>
> The set up was detailed at[0]. Comments are, of course, welcome.
> It was cross-posted to d-mirrors, but I couldn't find it in the d-mirror
> archives, only some of the replies. Go figure...

Darn, I didn't see it, simply because of that - it went into the -devel
mailbox and got lost in the noise...

>From the looks of it, it sounds good, although I seem to see a few problems:
* it might be a bit resource-intensive given that it constructs the
  mirror-to-country mapping every time?
* I'm not sure, but does it require one to update
  /usr/local/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat somehow?
* I don't see how pick_best_mirror() ever does any load balancing, when
  it will always return the same mirror (the one with the best score),
  given the same input variables?
* you may wish to replace the wget invocation with one of the HTTP Perl
  modules, it's really simple enough :)

> > Ideally you should be putting it up on a Debian machine.
>
> That's precisely my intention, but since I'm currently using PDNS, I'm
> afraid the DSA folks will have some sort of problem with it. But I guess
> it can't hurt to ask! :)

I'm fine with pdns, so I can help you test and maybe convince them :)

> > Yes, I should commit it somewhere. I'm actually thinking of merging it
> > into mirror_list.pl, that's the simplest way to keep things sane.
>
> Great! Let us know when you get to it!

I should get it done soon, but some RL stuff is getting in the way...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.