Re: where to sync from?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:09:06 +0100, Rafal wrote in message
<200703220509.06271.debian@rafal.wozniak.name>:

> Wednesday 21 of March 2007 23:36:40 Carlos Carvalho napisał(a):
> > I tried mtr for the first time. Nice but not reliable(?!?!). From my
> > machine (not in the same site as the mirror) to our gateway it reports
> > 16-22% of packet loss!! This is nonsense, real packet loss is zero
> > (tried ping -f to confirm).
>
> mtr and ping work diffrent.
> it is natural that mtr my show same losses. it depends what type of router is
> used. replays for pings has a low piority.
> but important is that on later hops aren't losses.

..you mean longer hop responses has higher priority???

..I have mtr average 8% loss over 24/7/365, going anywhere between
0-100% packet loss, 802.11g link out, Telenor gives away wifi routers
to have their clients (my neighbors) jam me.   ;o)

..mail works up to 93% packet loss, at 40% websurfing starts getting
annoyingly slow and stuttering, but how much loss 'n stuttering is
acceptable for a public mirror?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: