Re: Debian/MIPSeb: proposal to drop mipseb port?

Hi!

> > > In fact I don't know anybody is using Debian's mips32eb port.
> > > If you are using it, please tell us.
> > I am using mips32eb a lot on wifi routers (self-compiled kernel with
> > rootfs on a usb stick). There are some people here at a community
> > wireless network that do use such setups on their rooftops as well.
>
> What is the advantage of eb than el? better performance?
> I guess most of CPUs support both eb and el.
Actually, up to now I thought, endianess is determined by the CPU and
cannot be changed easily. I chose my kernel and architecture settings
based on those of OpenWRT and the CPUs I use are mainly:
* Ubiquiti RouterStation Pro (Atheros AR7161r2/MIPS 24Kc V7.4)
* TP-Link WDR4300 (Atheros AR9344r2/MIPS 74Kc V4.12)
* TP-Link Archer C5 (Atheros QCA9558v1/MIPS 74Kc V5.0)

> > Please let me know if there is anything I could do to help avoiding the
> > drop.
>
> We need some more build machines, current we use some ER8s,
> which use NFS as rootfs and they have no FPU.
> So the performance and stability are bad.
I could only offer a spare RouterStation Pro which I use for testing and
compiling/backporting some software like swconfig or hostapd. At least
this device seems stable although it is even older/weaker than those ER8s...

> We also need some more manpower to fix the FTBFS in future.
The issues tagged 'mips' are way out of what I can handle, I am afraid.
Though, I'll keep watching them and hope that there might appear issues
I can deal with!

all the best,
	Adi Kriegisch