Re: MIPS kernel snapshots - 2.6.25-rc5

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:

Looking at the call trace indicates some interaction with cdroms. I'm
going to install something on the harddisk and see, if things are
still working.

I think the crashing program is hald-probe-storage, included in "hal"
package. So, if you install and run it at startup, you should be able to
reproduce it.

Bye,
Giuseppe

Interesting. I had an ip32 totally stable and happy on 2.6.18-4. It had been updated against the testing feed many times with no problems, then I didn't have a chance to do it for a couple months. I just updated a couple days ago, same kernel, just a re-sync with the testing feed, and it crashed 4 times durring the update and I had to keep hitting the reset button and starting things over until I slugged through it. It seemed to coincide with restarts of udev and certain other system utilities.

Makes one wonder if some user space change triggered a kernel bug that's been there for a while.

-S-