Re: Building the whole Debian archive with GCC 4.1: a summary

Following up from

* Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> [2006-03-25 21:54]:
>  - Find out about MIPS specific problems in GCC 4.1 and to answer
>    Matthias Klose's question [1] as to which platforms can move to
>    GCC 4.1 as the default compiler once it is uploaded to unstable.

GCC 4.1 looks rock solid on MIPS, with some minor issues.

> 1. Assembler warnings
>
> 20 packages had assembler warnings on MIPS.  A list will be sent to
> debian-mips so Thiemo Seufer (or others) can investigate.

The following packages showed assembler warnings:

dietlibc_0.29-9
ffcall_1.10-2
freej_0.8.1-2
gcc-2.95_2.95.4.ds15-24
gcc-3.3_1:3.3.6-13
gcj-4.1_4.1.0-1
ghdl_0.21-1
glibc_2.3.6-4
kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips_2.4.27-11.040815-3
lcd4linux_0.10.0+cvs20051015-3
mozilla-thunderbird_1.0.7-3
mozilla_2:1.7.12-1.1
nvu_1.0final-1
pocketpc-gcc_3.4.2-2
postgresql-7.4_1:7.4.12-2
postgresql-8.0_8.0.7-2
prc-tools_2.3-1
thunderbird_1.5-4
visualboyadvance_1.7.2-5
xulrunner_1.8.0.1-5

> 2. Packages that couldn't be built because of missing packages (depwait)
>
>  - ghc-cvs/ghc6: 33 [see #274942]

This really needs to be fixed.  I didn't realize just how many
packages use GHC!

> 5. Unclarified issue
>
> 7 packages fail to build because MIPS doesn't have a generic
> cpu-feature-overrides.h header.  We have to check whether those packages
> should be fixed (userspace should not depend on kernel headers anyway)
> or whether the kernel can provide a generic cpu-feature-overrides.h.

The packages are:

eagle-usb_2.1.1-2
ltp_20050107-3
wmtune_1.1-1.1
svgatextmode_1.9-15
sysklogd_1.4.1-17.1
twin_0.5.1-3
twin_0.5.1-3

(Ooops, twin is listed twice... make that 6 packages ;)

Thiemo, how do I find xgot usage again?  Just a simple grep for "xgot"?
Actually, you can do it yourself: gluck:~tbm/public_html/logs/gcc-4.1/

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/