Size of /proc/kcore on MIPS (porting help requested)

Hello,
I maintain the little utility called linuxinfo. Recently I got a bug
report[1], that it reports wrong (negativ) memory size on some MIPS
machines. The main method for linuxinfo to determine the memory size
is to look at the size of /proc/kcore. If the size is known to be
problematic (x86 highmem, non-contineous memory on ia64) than a
different method is used. So far all MIPS machines I got reports for
seemd to have a "properly" sized /proc/kcore.

The problematic machine in question has 2 GB of RAM, but the size of
/proc/kcore is:
-r-------- 1 root root 6442450944 2006-03-08 17:12 /proc/kcore

Is there a relation between the size of /proc/kcore and the actually
memory size? I noticed, that
          sizeof(/proc/kcore)-2^32 = actual size
on this machine.

The kernel is fairly new, and I saw that there has been some recent
work on /proc/kcore on MIPS[2], but I did not understand the
implications ...

Any hint appreciated (and possible tests on other MIPS machines).

             Helge

[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/12/194  in 2.6.16-rc3
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de