Re: WRT54G Support?

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 08:32, Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de> wrote
about 'Re: WRT54G Support?':
> I keep some old(-ish) tarballs around at
> http://people.debian.org/~ths/chroot-tarballs/

Extracted to /var/pixie/root, exported that via nfs, logged into pixie (my
WRT54G) and chrooted.  That works.

Now, I wanted to bring the chroot up-to-date:
# apt update
bash: apt: command not found

Alrightly, so, no apt in the base debian system.  That makes sense, so
worries, I'll just use dpkg:
# dpkg --install apt
dpkg: unable to lock dpkg status database: No locks available

Googling for the error, I see a bug (134591) says that dpkg doesn't work
over nfs when the F_SETLK ioctl doesn't work.  The it's marked wontfix,
and it appears the reasoning is that the user should just enable file
locking over nfs.

I edited my /etc/exports to use the insecure_locks option, since this could
have been the root of the problem.  I unmounted the chroot on pixie, did
an exportfs -r on the server, remounted and re-chroot'd on pixie.

Same error.

Consulting the great google again, I find some linux kernel mailing list
posts that indicate I need statd running on both sides and lockd on the
server (and maybe the client?).

The client is running lockd, but not statd. I can't find a userland binary
in either the OpenWRT image or the debian chroot that will start statd.
The server is running both lockd and rpc.statd.

I can't seem to find and OpenWRT package that enables statd, I can search
by name, but none look promising, and I have descriptions, just not
easy-to-search ones.  I looked at the nfs-server package, but it
specifically mentions that it does not support locking.

Any suggestions?  I think a custom OpenWRT build and reflash would do the
trick, but I'm not sure, and even if it would I'm not sure exactly what
options to select.  I also don't want to get into the habit of reflashing
all the time.

Rereading my own message, this may not be the /best/ forum for it, but I'll
throw it out and see if anyone bites.  I'll also hit the OpenWRT forums
consult them for how enable nfs locking.

Thanks in advance.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
bss03@volumehost.net