[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: WRT54G Support?

On Thursday 16 February 2006 04:29, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 04:55, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
> wrote about 'Re: WRT54G Support?':
> > * Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@volumehost.net> [2006-02-14 21:53]:
> > > > Flash flashout is probably different.  That's hard-coded so far and
> > > > needs some code to auto-detect it.
> > >
> > > Since I don't know what this means, it's clear I need to learn a bit
> > > more
> >
> > This is not mips specific at all.  Basically, your flash chip is
> > partitioned but there's no meta-information about how it's
> > partitioned.  So there's this bcm kernel file which specifies it.
> Aha.  I never thought that the flash chip might not hold a partition table
> on the first sector.  If there's no information on the chip itself, I
> suppose auto-detection would just involve looking for superblocks for
> known filesystems and/or the header associated with special sections like
> the nvram, right?
> > It gets tricky for me because I'd like to support more than one
> > device, and they may (and do) differ in their flash layout.
> I can see that.  While my personal itch is my WRT54G 1.1 (16M ram, 4M
> flash), I'd like to be able to contribute to a larger project that would
> also support my friend's WRT54G 2.0, the newer WRT54GLs, and devices from
> other manufacturers that have similar CPU/ram/flash limitations (be they
> home routers or not).
> Perhaps I just need to add my efforts to the OpenWRT project.  Or, maybe
> the other projects mentioned on the list like embedian.
> > Anyway, from what you say, to me it sounds as if you simply want to
> > run OpenWRT and maybe mount additional storage via NFS.  But if you
> > want to work on the project you described, I won't stop you. ;-)
> Yeah, the main issue I have with OpenWRT at this point is the lack of
> stable 2.6.x kernel support.  But, on further investigation it looks the
> next whiterussian may have that -- or at least the development is headed
> that way, so perhaps I just need to jump into kamakaze and see if I can't
> get something running, just gotta make a JTAG cable before I try and flash
> the system.
Because the hardware I am running on (Netgear WGT634U) is only supported
on kamakaze that is what I have been running for a round a month.  It is 
actually quite stable, and using a 2.6.15 kernel.  For the 634u I did not need
a JTAG cable, just as serial cable which then gives boot access to the "BIOS"
which should allow me to recover from most problem as I can ftp in a new
image from that command line.

> I would like to see a mips+embeded under the debian banner, at some point,
> > > Well, I had problems with debootstrap, too, so I couldn't get a
> > > debian system that was suitable to chroot into.  If I reproduce the
> > > errors, I assume I can get some troubleshooters to help me through
> > > it on this list, right?
> >
> > Sure, or I can just run debootstrap and give you a tar ball.
> I'll start with the tarball provided by ths.  Thanks for the offer.
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
> bss03@volumehost.net
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy

Reply to: