Cobalt Raq2 Network Issues

Ladies and Gents,

I am attempting to install Debian on a Cobalt Raq2. I am booting the system from another Debian machine using dhcp and the nfsroot package from here - http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-mipsel/current/images/cobalt/nfsroot.tar.gz. When running the installer the system continually looses network connectivity. After continually bringing the network interface (eth0) up and down to get all the needed packages, I finally got the system installed. Once I got the system booted on Debian-stable, running "Linux 2.4.27-r5k-cobalt", the network continually drops out. There is no information logged to /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log or dmesg. Searching online I found a few references to others having similar problems but found no real solutions to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Or found a solution for it?

Thanks,
  James