Re: Cobalt Raq2 Network Issues

James wrote:
> Ladies and Gents,
>
>   I am attempting to install Debian on a Cobalt Raq2.  I am booting the
> system from another Debian machine using dhcp and the nfsroot package
> from here -
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-mipsel/current/images/cobalt/nfsroot.tar.gz.
> When running the installer the system continually looses network
> connectivity.  After continually bringing the network interface (eth0)
> up and down to get all the needed packages, I finally got the system
> installed.
>   Once I got the system booted on Debian-stable, running "Linux
> 2.4.27-r5k-cobalt", the network continually drops out. There is no
> information logged to /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log or dmesg.
>   Searching online I found a few references to others having similar
> problems but found no real solutions to the problem.  Has anyone else
> had this problem? Or found a solution for it?

It's a known problem introduced in 2.4.27-10 which was supposed to
solve another network related problem. The previous 2.4.27-8 works
with a single network interface in use but freezes when using both.

The old kernel (with some security issues!) is available from

http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2005/03/29/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips/kernel-image-2.4.27-r5k-cobalt_2.4.27-8.040815-1_mipsel.deb

A description how to build a 2.4.27 debian kernel with both network
problems hopefully fixed is available from

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2005/07/msg00053.html

I got so far no response about it and can't test it myself because I
have no cobalt hardware.

Thiemo