Re: Cobalt Raq2 Network Issues

----- Original Message ----- From: "James" <cypher@woh.rr.com>
To: <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 11:32 PM
Subject: Cobalt Raq2 Network Issues

Ladies and Gents,

I am attempting to install Debian on a Cobalt Raq2. I am booting the system from another Debian machine using dhcp and the nfsroot package from here - http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-mipsel/current/images/cobalt/nfsroot.tar.gz. When running the installer the system continually looses network connectivity. After continually bringing the network interface (eth0) up and down to get all the needed packages, I finally got the system installed. Once I got the system booted on Debian-stable, running "Linux 2.4.27-r5k-cobalt", the network continually drops out. There is no information logged to /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log or dmesg. Searching online I found a few references to others having similar problems but found no real solutions to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Or found a solution for it?

Hi James!

This is a very common problem and you need to get a new kernel and patch it in order to fix this.

I have just built one yesterday and you can grab it right here along with the .config and colo v1.19 (vmlinux.gz):
http://www.vizi0n.com/~viz/linux/

It is very basic as it was used on my webserver so dont expect to see any netfilter or such things in it.

to install it all you need to do is dpkg -i <kernel.deb>

viz