Re: How to Install Debian Linux (MIPS) to SGI O2 ?

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 04:24:58PM -0300, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> What exactly would we have to do in order to install O2 in Debian and
> debian-installer.  Quite a few people have asked for O2 support
> recently, so it might be a good idea to do it.  We'd need a new
> kernel, will arcboot work or does it need patches?  What else?
Arcboot should be able to boot 64 bit kernels already. Ilya sent a patch
for this recently. tip22 lacks proper IP32 support at the moment so we
can't create the current kernel + initrd tftpboot package. I could add
this to my TODO list though, shouldn't be hard.
Major show stopper here is that we don't have a mips64 gcc in debian
yet, so we can't build kernels for the O2 (self contained in debian).
I discussed with Thiemo that we could build a mips64 "kgcc" for kernel
builds only (therefore not needing a n32 or n64 glibc) for sarge and fix
up things properly afterwards [1]. Is there any other arch that has a
special gcc for kernel builds, so we could use that package as a basis?
Cheers,
 -- Guido

[1] everything else would require major changes to the glibc and gcc
ackages