Re: "safe" kernel for RaQ2?

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

I've still some questions left:

Am 26. Apr 2004 um 7:17 Uhr schrieb Stuart Longland:
You can run later versions of Linux on these boxes, including 2.6.x,
however, if you're using the standard stock firmware (not CoLo), you'll
need to keep the size of the compressed kernel below 675kB.  (I believe
this last restriction makes it _very_ difficult to get anything above
2.4.22 going properly)

1.
I fetched the last version, looked at the README and it says it overwrites the firmware, and then there's no more netbooting. Ehmm... if I break the machine, how would I boot it when there's no more netbooting? It doesn't have external media (CD, Disk, Zip,...)

2.
This 675kB-limit... that means I will not be able to boot the coming d-i-beta4, if I do not upgrade the firmware? I can't do that (see 1.), so Debian will "never" be suitable for a RaQ2?

* Compile this, with only the bare essentials compilled in.
~  Use one of the configs from
~  http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/cobalt/kernel/ as a guide.

Again, thanks for this very detailed description.
But, hmmm... in fact I already have compiled kernels, but never on a machine without CD-drive, keyboard and monitor. I think this is doomed to fail (Yes, I can work around via netboot, chroot etc, but this sounds terrific. I always have to walk downstairs to reboot the machine, since dhcp doesn't work over switch/hub and needs a crossed networkcable. Took me a day to find out...)

Thanks a lot,
Ratti