Re: "safe" kernel for RaQ2?

Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm not new to linux, but new to a RaQ2 I just got. Like on my other
| ppc/x86/x64-machines I'd like to install a debian woody on it.
|
| It took me two days :-) but now I managed to get woody on it via
| netinstall, nfsboot etc.

You can run later versions of Linux on these boxes, including 2.6.x,
however, if you're using the standard stock firmware (not CoLo), you'll
need to keep the size of the compressed kernel below 675kB.  (I believe
this last restriction makes it _very_ difficult to get anything above
2.4.22 going properly)

My advice...

* Grab the Cobalt Loader from http://www.colonel-panic.org/cobalt-mips/
	untar it, grab the chain.bin, gzip it (-9v again), then place
	that in your /boot partition as vmlinux.gz.

* Create your /boot/default.boot... It'll need to be something along
	these lines (See the readme):

	mount hda1
	load /vmlinux.gz.working
	execute root=/dev/hda5 ro console=ttyS0,115200

* Grab the latest Linux-MIPS CVS checkout.
	At last check... Latest 2.4 branch: 2.4.26
			 Latest 2.6 branch: 2.6.5

* Apply the relevant patch from the place where you got the
	Cobalt Loader.

* Compile this, with only the bare essentials compilled in.
~  Use one of the configs from
~  http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/cobalt/kernel/ as a guide.

* Once you have your vmlinux binary, run gzip -9v, place it in
	your /boot partition as vmlinux.gz.working (or similar)
	and make sure your default.boot points to it.

When you reboot, the stock Cobalt firmware should load "colo" from the
partition, which should in turn load the desired kernel.  Using a serial
console, you can interrupt the colo loader by pressing space (basically
as soon as it pops up, press space) -- it should drop you into a basic
shell allowing you to enter commands manually.

The above procedure works just fine on my Gateway Microserver (a.k.a
Cobalt Qube 2), so it should be fine on your Raq 2.  Push comes to
shove, I can make my 2.4.26 kernel available if you get troubles.

- --
| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Atomic Linux Project    <--->    http://atomicl.berlios.de/ |