Re: Indy or Alpha the "easier" platform? Gnome?

On Mon, 2004-03-08 20:27:56 +0100, Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20040308192756.GD1224@excalibur.cologne.de>:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:56:51PM +0100, Ralph Aichinger wrote:

[MIPS or Alpha]

> That depends on the type of Alpha you have. Generally, if
> you know how to setup a bootp/tftp server, installing the
> Indy is easy.

Well, not looking at the very old Alphas (100..133 MHz), the Alphas are
really easy to install IFF you know the gotchas. After all, all machines
are simple to install, but you'd know about requirements for specific
partition layout ("full disk" partition #3 for Sparc32 machines come to
mind, volume headers for SGI-MIPS, BSD partitions for SRM Alphas,
PC-BIOS paritions for AlphaBIOS Alphas, ...) and how these beasts boot
in general (arcboot for SGI-MIPS, aboot for SRM Alphas, MILO for
AlphaBIOS Alphas).

And with a 300 MHz Alpha (I suppost this a an Avanti, desktop-sized
(well, way larger) purple box) you can do quite some work. However, if
it contains the PowerStorm graphics adaptor (quite fast), the you're out
of luck: this thing isn't really XFree86'supported. Maybe you'll get
vga16 out of it... The 24bit Indy framebuffer is waay better supported
here, bug you may face problems if you initially booted up with serial
console. I had initialization issues in this case some time ago. All was
good if I had booted with FB-Console and keyboard...

MfG, JBG