Re: Indy or Alpha the "easier" platform? Gnome?

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:56:51PM +0100, Ralph Aichinger wrote:

> I've just bought an SGI Indy (P22, 64MB RAM, small Disk) and
> two Alphas (300 MHz or so, not yet switched on or tested).
>
> Which architecture do you think is the "easier" one to start
> with? I want to install Debian or NetBSD on all machines in

That depends on the type of Alpha you have. Generally, if
you know how to setup a bootp/tftp server, installing the
Indy is easy.

> That particular Indy has no floppy. Will that be a problem
> (I can connect an external SCSI CD-Rom or setup a bootp/tftp
> server to boot from)?

We do not have floppy images for the Indy anyway. The official
way to install it is using bootp/tftp.

> Furthermore: With my experience of i386 hardware it seems to
> me that above Indy (with its 64MB RAM) is a bit underpowered
> for a full Gnome setup. I assume it is best used as a X-Terminal

For a "full gnome": yes. For some smaller wm and not too many
applications, an Indy is quite ok.

HTH,
Karsten
--