EFS filesystem/serial

I have an SGI Indigo 2 IMPACT and I have two
questions.

1. Does linux kernel support the SGI efs filesystem so
that I can delete(at the very least read) the
/etc/passwd file?

2. the SGI has an 8-pin serial port. How can I make it
compatible with the PCS 9-pin serial port?

3. I may sound inexperienced, but since I've already
tftp'd the SGI, why doesn't linux write to the
ethernet port, rather than the serial port? Having it
write to the ethernet would be a lot easier-I wouldn't
have to go through the serial port compatibility
problem.

Thanks