Re: c++ problems - konqueror, etc.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:27:11AM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> The right way to solve it would be to implement GOT reference
> counting in MIPS binutils. Hope that helps :-)

That would help, but really big programs can still blow out a single
GOT. For example, on the Alpha before multi-GOT, we couldn't link
Legion's libraries properly. Legion is a huge C++ program with
extensively templating. With g++, the preferred way to make the
smallest possible library (no duplicate template expansions) was to
cat together all the source files and have g++ chew its way through it
all at once. Applixware had the same problem, same reason.

So saying that emacs won't blow out a single GOT isn't the end of the
story: some people want to compile their own codes, and they can be
really big.

-- greg