Re: debian-mipsel installed on a Cobalt Qube2

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:50:42AM -0700, Neale Pickett wrote:
> So then, Vincent Stehlé <vincent.stehle@stepmind.com> is all like:

> >   Did you make a "vmlinux.ecoff" image ? This is the only one that works
> >   for me. 'don't know for Qube, though.
>
> I don't know if that'll work.  I've read in multiple places that a
> Qube/Raq will only boot a gzipped vmlinux, and my experience seems to
> bear this out as well (though I can't say I've been very rigorous about
> testing it).  How is vmlinux.ecoff different than plain old vmlinux?

vmlinux.ecoff is - as the name implies :-) - an ECOFF image, while
vmlinux is an ELF image. Older SGI firmware versions cannot boot ELF
files, so one has to use the ECOFF version there. AFAIK, the Cobalt
firmware can only boot ELF images.

HTH,
Karsten
--