Re: Same problem with my Personal Decstation 5000/25

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 07:20:42PM +0000, The Fungi wrote:

> If/when I get this working I'll see if I can't track down at what
> point in CVS the kernel ceases to boot properly. But if you have any
> info on what the most recent kernel known to boot on a maxine is,
> please let me know. Most of the DECstation Linux docs out there
> haven't been updated in a while...

In general, use the 2.4 kernel series. 2.5 is known to be severely
broken for DECstations. The problem is not booting a kernel on the
Maxine, in fact the system comes up normally, but starting dbootstrap
(the Debian installer program) causes the kernel to freeze immediately
(no oops or alike, just a hard lockup, not even replies to pings
anymore). This is independent of the processor type, it happens
both on R3000- and R4000-based Maxines, but does not occur on any
DECstation model besides the Personal DECstation series.
5000/1xx, /240 and /260 work without problems in this regard.

Regards,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>