Re: Same problem with my Personal Decstation 5000/25

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 09:32:36PM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> In general, use the 2.4 kernel series. 2.5 is known to be severely
> broken for DECstations. The problem is not booting a kernel on the
> Maxine, in fact the system comes up normally, but starting dbootstrap
> (the Debian installer program) causes the kernel to freeze immediately
> (no oops or alike, just a hard lockup, not even replies to pings
> anymore). This is independent of the processor type, it happens
> both on R3000- and R4000-based Maxines, but does not occur on any
> DECstation model besides the Personal DECstation series.
> 5000/1xx, /240 and /260 work without problems in this regard.

Yes, verified. The last line I see is:

   init started:  BusyBox v0.60.3-pre (2002.01.21-23:16+0000) multi-call binary

So I assume dbootstrap is the very next thing in line after init
starts. Guess I could track it down by compiling in a printf() after
each function and seeing which call is hosing the box. Or has
someone already done this? Are maxines in short enough supply that
the maintainers don't have any to troubleshoot this with? Since this
is my only mipsel hardware I'll have to put the old RedHat tarball
on it first and then I'll look into recompiling dbootstrap to see if
I can come up with a patch, or at least a clue.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); ICQ(114362511);
WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl);